Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Spring in our yard


Courage is not the towering oak that sees storms come and go; it is the fragile blossom that opens in the snow.
Alice M. Swain

We still have quite a bit of snow, but three days of sunshine has made a remarkable dent in the snowpack. Yesterday I was out raking the exposed yard and picking up limbs and encouraging the thin patches of snow to melt quicker by raking them.
It was nice to get to hang the laundry in the sunshine! I stripped and washed our bed and hung all the pillows and comforter out in the sun, everything is crisp and smells fresh! I opened all the windows in the house in an effort to bring sprintime inside.
I raked piles of larch needles and gathered wheel barrows full of broken limbs and hauled it to the burn pile, now I have the urge to have a fire and roast some food on a stick!
The good thing about a slow melt off is that each day I can rake the newly exposed ground, rather than having the huge job of raking the entire yard at once. It just seems more manageable and there is a stopping point!
something about sunshine after a long winter is both invigorating and exhausting!
Jubliation!



No comments:

Post a Comment